Wednesday 20 September 2023

Deadline: Chris Evans On Captain America, His Apprehension About Taking The Role, Stepping Back From The MCU & More

Story from Deadline:

Chris Evans is sharing his thoughts on his Captain America character, his initial reluctance to take on the role and why he’s not ready to return to the MCU anytime soon.

In an interview with GQ for its October issue, Evans says he agrees somewhat with Quentin Tarantino’s comments last year that Marvel characters are the stars and not the actor portraying them. “Part of the Marvel-ization of Hollywood is, you have all these actors who have become famous playing these characters, but they’re not movie stars. Captain America is the star,” Tarantino said in a November 2022 interview with Mediaite, and Evans agrees.

“That was the beauty of working on Marvel films. You never really had to be front and center,” Evans said. “Even in your own films sometimes. Quentin Tarantino said it recently and I was like, you know, he’s right. The character is the star. You’re there, but you don’t feel the burden of it.”

He also revealed his reluctance to initially take on the role. “I was really apprehensive about taking the role initially,” he says. At the time, he was nearly 30. “I remember in my late 20s having a real shift in how I felt on set, how I felt promoting films: a little more anxiety, a little more uncertainty. You always end up questioning, Is this what I should be doing?”

Evans left Los Angeles when he finished 2019’s Avengers: Endgame, the seventh of seven films under which he was contractually obligated to portray Captain America. He hasn’t ruled out returning for another Marvel film, but says it likely won’t happen soon.

“I’ll never say never, just because it was such a wonderful experience,” Evans said. But I’m also very precious with it. It’s something that I am very proud of. And like I said, sometimes I can’t believe it even happened. And I wouldn’t want the black eye if it felt like a cash grab or if it didn’t live up to expectations or if it just felt like it wasn’t connected to that original thing. So, no time soon.”

He also admits he’s ready “to just maybe act a little bit less in my life. I have a lot of other interests. Look, by no means have I climbed any sort of a mountain in this field. I have no Oscars and I’m not lumped with other names that are at the top of the mountain in any way. But I also feel very satisfied.”

© 2023 Deadline Hollywood.